Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11 Vets day gravel grinder and "like" small town

#2 was a best choice.  Arrived at Emporia to find the streets full of traffic and Soden’s Grove Park full of people and vehicles.  Turns out Emporia is the founding city for our national holiday Veteran’s Day.  It was also interest to note I had my USAF team Jersey on (RAGBRAI circa ’94 and ’95) so with discipline due the occasion I and the other vets saluted during taps and 21 gun salute.  Amazing the effect taps has on a crowd. 

Anyway, 28 miles in.  18 miles of it gravel.  Awesome gravel roads with great horizon views.  The “rollers” are epic and my crack cocaine.  I didn’t have a map so ended up not on road to “hill one” on north side of freeway (I did see it when leaving for return trip to Wichita).  High Gear BS Emporia owned by a young fellow who actually rides (bonus).  If you’re in town, drop by and see the shop (they need a coffee machine).

PS finally got my Adventure Monkey T!  it is sweet

KU ballgame in Lawrence tomorrow for KΔ Dad’s weekend.  Family fun….Hey where are the Bike shops (BS) in Lawrence?!
Ride Zen my friends - KC

No comments:

Post a Comment